The house at Seven Gables, at the corner of Outer Walton Street and Goose Bay Road in Alexandria Bay, originally built in the late 1800’s by Edward Furness, has been a landmark for over a century. Many of the long time residents of Alex Bay have their own stories and recollections connected to the house, so named for its unique roofline.
The first two photos are obviously taken when the house was fairly new.
In the first one, standing by the fence is Mrs. Louise McCue Furness, the second wife of Edward Furness, who built the house. We don’t know the names of the woman and children in the buggy.
We can’t see the fence in this picture, but the vegetation is about the same size and suggests that it was also taken in the late 1800’s. We love the lightning rods on the roof and hope to replace them one day. Can anyone identify the people in the photo?
This faded snapshot was taken in 1911 by Florence Dixon, with her landlady, Mrs. Whitford, leaning on the gate post. It was not a new house then, as the propped up gatepost shows, and the gate quite off its hinges. The house does not show in the 1864 map of the Town of Alexandria, but it is present on the 1888 map.
The following photographs show the house at various times during its proud history.
In this picture are Gerald and Betty Eaton, children of William “Omar” and Carrie Wilson Eaton.
……a more recent photo of the house….
Mary, who grew up in Alexandria Bay, had always loved this house and dreamed of restoring it to its original glory one day. When she decided to open her own interior design business, she was able to purchase Seven Gables in August of 2005. Like the metamorphosis of a beautiful butterfly, the house has undergone a number of transitions and renovations with its various owners and has now emerged as the loveliest home decor shop in Northern New York.
In its present state, we think Mr. Furness would be proud.